1997 J Boats J/160
Yacht price :
Hull #8 of the iconic J/160 has benefited from a major refit in 2014/2019, overseen by her captain of the past 8+ years, and is now available for sale. US owner under US flag (USCG Certificate of Documentation).
Over the past 5 years, TRUE LOVE has had the following capital improvements (see Full Specification for complete list):
- Yanmar 115 hp diesel with hydraulic gearbox (2014)
- Dometic air conditioning (2014)
- Refinished interior woodwork(2014)
- New Sunbrella dodger, bimini, awning (2016)
- New portlight and hatches (2016)
- New Dyneema main and jib (2016)
- New Awlgrip - hull, deck/nonskid, mast & boom (2019)
- 2019 6.5kW Masse generator
- 2019 added electric winch (two in total)
Thanks to these upgrades, TRUE LOVE shows as a much newer vessel. Highly recommended.
- J Boats
- Bodrum, TR
- Available for sale in U.S. waters:
- Vessel Name:
- 4409 MB
- Boat Type:
- Hull Material:
- Hull Type:
- Hull Color:
- Rod Johnstone
- Flag of Registry:
Dimensions & Weight
- 53 ft - 16.15 meter
- 52 ft 10 in - 16.1 meter
- 14 ft 6 in - 4.42 meter
- Draft - max:
- 6 ft 9 in - 2.06 meter
- Bridge Clearance:
- Dry Weight:
- Cruise Speed:
- 9 MPH
- Joystick Control:
- Engine Type:
- Drive Type:
- Fuel Type:
- 115 (Individual), 115 (combined)
- Max Speed:
- Fuel Tank:
- 45 gallons - 2 tank(s)
- Fresh Water Tank:
- 157 gallons - 1 tank(s)
- Holding Tank:
- 20 gallons - 2 tank(s)
- Total Cabins:
- Total Berths:
- Total Sleeps:
- Total Heads:
- Captains Cabin:
- Crew Cabins:
- Crew Berths:
- Crew Sleeps:
- Crew Heads:
Cherry interior with teak & holly sole and dark blue interior cushions. Teak & holly sole replaced in 2014; cherry refinished in 2014.
Sleeps 9: Pullman berth forward with en-suite head/shower; dinette with seating for 8, pilot berth outboard to port; U-shaped galley; nav station with plotter, instrument display and electrical panel; 2 aft staterooms w/double berths; aft head w/telephone shower
Air conditioning in all cabins & salon (Dometic, 2014/2019)
Ebersbecher Airtronic diesel heating (2014)
Jabsco electric freshwater heads & new hoses (2014)
Interior lighting upgraded to Hella LED (2014)
Portlights and hatches replaced (2016)
Hull, Deck and Cockpit
In 2019, True Love's hull was Awlgripped in Kingston Gray and the deck, including non-skid, was Awlgripped in white. The cockpit sole was done in teak in 2014 and her toerail, portlights & hatches were replaced in 2016.
Her cockpit was re-done in teak in 2014 and features a carbon fiber wheel, new navigation gear including helm plotter, and a custom retractable teak swim platform.
- Patented TPI resin infused "SCRIMP" composite sandwich construction.utilizing end-grain balsa and biaxial and unidirectional glass fabric, with additional reinforcing in highly loaded areas.
- Built to A.B.S. Plan Approval (American Bureau of Shipping)
- GRP infusion molded primary structural bulkhead with solid glass chainplate support areas.
- Secondary watertight bulkhead aft of foredeck sail locker.
- Additional secondary bulkheads individually glassed to hull and deck.
- Heavy duty glass floor beams infused to the hull for ultimate keel support and hull stiffening.
- 12,000 lb 7' draft, low CG lead keel
- Heavy duty polished 316 stainless steel chainplates.
- Custom fabricated 316 stainless steel stemhead through bolted to a reinforced hull
- Vinylester resin on the outer hull layer.
- Aluminum full length ORC toe rail with amidships and aft chocks (new in 2016)
- Molded transom with custom retractable swim platform (2017)
Galley & Plumbing
- Large J-shaped galley with deep, double "high polish" stainless sink
- 12.5 cubic foot icebox/refrigerator with two top and one side loading access doors, shelves, 5" insulation, and positive door latches.
- SeaFrost engine-driven refrigeration
- Three burner gimbaled Force 10 propane stove/oven, 2014
- Two 10lb. aluminum propane bottles in cockpit propane locker connected through solenoid shutoff switch.
- Dry goods storage cabinets with mid-height shelves outboard, four louvered cabinet doors one with integral spice rack.
- Combination cutting board/single sink cover.
- Large garbage bin under sink with convenient flip door access and hinge-out door.
- Four drawers and two below-counter storage cabinets, pot and pan locker under stove
- 157 gallon total water capacity in independently valved molded tanks and water heater.
- Fresh water tanks are secured and independently vented to the forepeak locker.
- Atlantic Stainless 12 gallon hot water heater w/110v and engine transfer.
- Independent self priming Attwood sump system for head shower drains.
- Electric icebox drain empties into Attwood sump.
- Primary bilge pump RULE #2000-10M w/anti-siphon valve.
- Two Henderson MK-V manual bilge pumps mounted in cockpit and port aft cabin.
- Sail Locker bilge pump
- Bilge alarms installed in primary bilge and forward sail locker.
- 30 gallon forward holding tank overboard "Y" discharge and deck pump-out.
- 18 gallon aft holding tank overboard "Y" discharge and deck pump-out.
- Hart Tank Tender (4-function) to monitor tank levels for 2 water tanks and 2 holding tanks.
- Fresh water Whale Gusher Galley MK III twin diaphragm fresh water manual foot-pump.
Engine, Steering and Mechanicals
2014 Yanmar 115hp 4JH4HTE diesel (500 hrs) with hydraulic gearbox, KMH40A-G (upgrade from standard 88 hp engine, allows for cruising under power at 9 kts)
- Aquadrive thrust bearing on independent bulkhead
3-blade feathering Max Prop on 1.5" shaft
- 2" Soundown insulation in engine compartment
- Max Power retractable bow thruster
- 6.5 KW Masse generator with enclosure (2019)
- 95 gallons of fuel in two alloy fuel tanks with baffles and inspection/clean out ports.
- Dual Racor fuel and water separators w/changeover valve for fuel system.
- Fuel gauge and shut-off valve on fuel tanks.
- Lofrans windlass (2011) with Rocna stainless anchor and stainless chain (2019)
- Balanced high aspect rudder constructed with unidirectional glass.
- High strength custom engineered and molded fiberglass rudder shaft, extending 80% of the rudder depth to provide maximum strength in case of collision.
- Carbon Fiber wheel, stainless guard, 5" Ritchie binnacle compass and throttle control.
- Gear ratio of 1.2:1 for finger-tip steering control and to facilitate installation of self-steering devices.
- Removable platform in front of rudder quadrant to maximize storage and protect steering cables from loose gear.
Electronics were upgraded in 2019 including:
- Raymarine Axiom Pro 12" plotter at nav station
- Raymarine Axiom 9" at helm
- Three i70 instrument displays
- Raymarine Quantum radar at spreader
- Raymarine Evolution autopilot
- Shipmate VHF (original)
- Fusion stereo
B&G instrumentation (speed/depth/wind) via Hydra 2 processor, 4 x 2020 CD displays at sprayhood, 2 x Hydra 2 FFD displays in cockpit
- House battery bank: 5 x 100 amp hour Fiamm AGM
- 2 x 75 AH start batts for engine and generator (one each)
- 2 x 75 AH bow thruster battery
- Voltage Monitoring Batt-Max Battery Combiner W/ Battery paralleling switch in cockpit to allow engine start with house batteries.
- 2019 Mastervolt Inveter/charger
- 2019 Masse generator with cover; 6.5kW output
- 230 Volt/32 amp European shore power with outlets
- Prosafe Galvanic Isolator with monitoring device.
- Custom Bass #90-D1056TP30 deluxe backlit panel recessed into bulkhead with digital condition meters.
- All interior lights and navigation light upgraded to LED (2014)
Rig and Sails
- 2008 rod rigging, check and partially replaced 2017
- 2008 FurlerBoom mainsail furling (serviced and painted 2019)
- Hall Spars carbon fiber mast, Awlgripped in 2017
- Custom Harken roller furling with furling line for hedsail
- Hall D-40 Quik-Vang.
- Sailtech -22 Integral hydraulic backstay
- 2017 main sail (SP Sails Dyneema membrane)
- 2017 jib (SP Sails Dyneema hybrid, radial)
- 2014 code zero w/ furler (SP Sails)
- Quantum gennaker with ATN sleeve
- inventory of older headsails and asymmetric spinnakers
- Two Lewmar 66AST 3-speed self-tailing primary winches mounted in recess on coaming in cockpit.
- Two Electric 54 ST 2-speed self-tailing secondary winches on cabin top.
- Two Lewmar 50AST 2-speed self-tailing mainsheet winches.
- One Lewmar 48AST 2-speed self-tailing halyard winch near mast on starboard side
Canvas and Miscellaneous Equipment
Dodger, bimini, cockpit cushions replaced in 2016 (Sunbrella, Navy Blue)
2019 AB RIB tender
Magma stern rail BBQ
Fenders and docklines
VAT Status implications for US buyers
For US citizens looking to cruise the Mediterranean or elsewhere in the EU for up to 18 months, there is no requirement to pay VAT provided they maintain the existing USCG Certificate of Documentation. The eighteen month "clock" will re-set as soon as the new owner leaves EU-waters, allowing for virtually unlimited VAT-free cruising.
For complete details, see the EU Union Custom Code: Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2015/2446 of 28 July 2015
About the J/160
The J/160 is designed primarily for comfortable and fast ocean-going cruising for a short-handed crew. Deep "V" forward sections and gently curved bilges amidships provide easy motion through waves and short chop. The combination of a narrow waterplane, fine entry, and low wetted surface optimizes comfort, speed, steering performance, and smooth motion in a seaway. Moderate flare in the topsides results in less spray on the windward deck. The aft sections show progressively tighter bilges toward a moderately wide stern, and very straight diagonals aft for optimum high-end speed on all points of sail.
The hull underbody profile displays ample fore-and-aft "rocker," characteristic of all J/Boats. This minimizes wetted surface and maximizes acceleration in light air. High freeboard and generous reserve buoyancy in the bow combined with low freeboard aft are designed to keep the bow up on high speed reaches, and handle the rigors of high-speed downwind sailing in large ocean waves. A low (but not too low) Displacement/Length ratio of 130 (in sailing trim) assures high top-end speed in heavy conditions, and allows enough displacement to achieve high stability for excellent upwind performance and safety offshore.
The J/160 becomes narrower through the water with progressively less wetted surface as it heels up to angles of 22 degrees. This accounts for the yacht's incredible speed and easy handling qualities upwind and reaching. In storm conditions the stable hull allows optimum steering control, and a smooth, slow, forward motion. Many yachts this size, including the J/160, are comfortable at the dock, but what distinguishes the J/160 is comfort at sea.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.